Thursday, December 06, 2012

Ray Bradbury: "Go to the library! Don't spent all your time on the _______computer and all that crap!"

I'm guessing this is the first time a speaker at Point Loma Nazarene University (an evangelical Christian school)  began their speech with taking God's name in vain (g__d___).  The nervous but appreciative laughter immediately following is classic.

The second time he repeated the phrase was just a  few minutes minute later (13:00ff):

"Go to the library! Live in the library, for Christ's sake!  Don't spent all your time on the g--d-- computer and all that crap!"

Then again at 14:25...
I wonder if anyone was sorry for inviting him.
I hope not..

Note: This is the same writer's conference that Eugene Peterson spoke at
(LOL.. I don't think EP used any coarse language..though I hear he is gracious towards that habit of Bono's).

By the way, that line about libraries and computers he  also delivered at  University of California.
 He's equal opportunity. It probably didn't even cross his mind to clean up his language while at a Christian venue.

And maybe he meant "for Christ's sake"  literally. (:

He sure loved the name of Jesus the day I met and I prayed for him...
--------------


Enjoy:
 
Follow-up conversation below....delightful. See 15:52ff on religion, and 21:56ff on God ("We are here to witness and celebrate. Otherwise, get the hell out!.. We are here as an audience to the miraculous!"):
Related:

see posts tagged "Ray Bradbury" underneath this post.





  • The Day I Prayed for Ray Bradbury

    davewainscott.blogspot.com/2007/.../day-i-prayed-for-ray-bradbury.htm...

    Sep 1, 2007 - The Day I Prayed for Ray BradburyRay Bradbury smiled at me, and "amen-ed" my prayer. As one who grew up reading and relishing ...
  • holy heteroclite:: David Crowder (the"flippin' semiotician")'s ...

    davewainscott.blogspot.com/.../david-crowder-on-semiotics-and-his.html

    Dec 22, 2012 - holy heteroclite: ..... printing press (6) prostitutes (7) psalms (51) radiohead (13) Ray Bradbury (13) ray van der laan (20) reading the Bible (524)  ...
    You've visited this page 4 times. Last visit: 4/22/15
  • holy heteroclite:: Ray Bradbury and "God in your breast"

    davewainscott.blogspot.com/.../ray-bradbury-and-god-in-your-breast_22...

    Dec 22, 2007 - As a follow up to my The Day I Prayed for Ray Bradbury post.. I found this discussion on Bradbury and Christianity...mostly devoted to whether  ...

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!